Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Idiocy. Sheer Idiocy

You read correct. This is a bit of a rant; just to warn you.
As many of the knitters/ crafters out there are aware, the IOC has decided to crack down on Ravelry's little friendly games, up til now known as the "Ravelympics". Apparently the IOC has nothing better to do just over a month before the Summer Games 2012 start in London, but to nitpick over a bunch of crafters (Ravelry, for those not involved, is a wonderful site devoted to knitters, crocheters, spinners and weavers and our games reflect all fibery aspects) challenging themselves to complete and/or finish projects during the Olympic Games. It is a fun way to cheer on the spirit of the Olympics, as Ravelry is an international community and our various and sundry teams reflect that. The Ravelry Games (a new name is in the process of being chosen) are about challenging ourselves and promoting good craftsmanship, friendly competition and most comradery. Isn't that what the Olympic Games themselves are supposed to be about?! But no, we're being forced to change the name and I don't think I'm the only one who has a very bad taste left in their mouth with regards to the whole incident. Admittedly, I'm not much of an Olympics watcher/supporter. I like to hear how certain countries are doing or who won a specfic medal but that's about it for me. This year, I don't think I can bring myself to care that much. Which is unfortunate because the athletes and coaches have nothing to do with this idiocy. Even the nations being represented have nothing to do with this decision. This is someone on the IOC with their knickers in a twist.
Which makes me wonder about another fiber related game that is connected with Ravelry and it's future. Will the organizers of the "Tour de France" bicycle race have a similar hissy fit about the spinning competition known as the "Tour de Fleece"? Or are those organizers a more sane and rational group who see the friendly aspect and fun inspired by it?
Alright; I'm getting off my soapbox now.

I will be writing a regular post soon, dear readers. There's been a minor upheaval in recent weeks between the show in St. John's (Wow, what a night!!!!) and the move to the new apartment plus working... Soon, friends I will update you on all and sundry.

TTFN

No comments: