Friday, August 14, 2009

Feeling Defeated By My Knitting

Things were progressing on the Sweater. Then yesterday I discovered I'd made a mistake in the "Dutch Knitting" on the shoulder. Had to tink a couple rows. No biggy that. Decided I'd try the Butterfly st I'd used on B's socks to give the rest of the shoulder & possibly down the sleeve a different feel. (Really trying for a Kathryn Alexander look on this.)
This morning: I calculated the # of sts needed & started the set-up row... didn't come out. At all. WTH?! Counted sts on needle...uh-oh. I didn't inc back up to 83sts on the front after I knit the revK1b. I worked the "C.A." on 57sts. When I rejoined the front/back, I just knit right across, never thinking... (Well, I should've listened 2 weeks sgo when S said it looked like it was pulling up, but I figured it was because the needle was still very close to that section.) I wound up frogging the almost completed shoulder (7/9"), and the last 1 3/4" of the front!! (And when I checked my notes, I didn't even say that I'd dec'd for the revK1b!! So of course I didn't inc!)
All in all, I just feel very defeated. I get going along really well & it's looking great. Then I discover mistakes that will really affect the look of the Sweater ie the shape, the neckline, etc. I still love the yarn & I know when I quit making these little glitches, it's going to be a really cool piece. The kind people ask where I got it. I wonder if "real" designers go through this? Maybe they've learned to be more meticulous in their notes?

No comments: